The Power of Team!

0 comments

May 26, 2009
Susie


Hello Team WILD! For those of you who I did not meet at training camp, I will be participating in the Longhorn 70.3 along with Team WILD. I don’t have diabetes, but the disease has affected friends and family, and I am familiar with the “highs and lows” of diabetes management. My introduction to Team WILD came through Lorrie DiCesare. I have known and been inspired by Lorrie for almost 16 years. I’ve seen first-hand the positive effects that an active and healthy lifestyle, and a positive outlook, can have on diabetes management. We have participated in multiple running races and triathlons together. I fully support the mission of Team WILD in helping all women with diabetes realize their athletic dreams. I am excited and thankful for the opportunity to participate in the Longhorn 70.3 alongside such a positive and inspirational team!

Lorrie and I made the trek to Madison Wisconsin last weekend to participate in the Madison Half Marathon. Since I don’t have diabetes, I can’t share any gems of wisdom about adjusting my basal rate, etc. However, I can share three general ideas that popped into my mind during the 13.1 mile run:

  1. I really want to try to have fun! During the half marathon, two guys ran the entire race dressed as a ketchup bottle and a mustard bottle. They were smiling and waving to people, and having a great time. I’m not suggesting anyone complete the Longhorn dressed as a condiment, but I do hope that I can bring a spirit of fun and enjoyment into my training. I get to swim, bike and run for a wonderful cause – I am very lucky! Oh, by the way, yes the ketchup and mustard bottle smoked me...
  2. Body Glide. Apply liberally to any areas that have the potential for rubbing. Enough said.
  3. The power of Team. The event was in Madison, home of Team WILD’s very own Kathy Z. Kathy wasn’t running in the race, but she did have several friends participating. At least four or five times during the race, I would turn a corner and there would be Kathy on the side of the road, in her bright orange Team WILD shirt, offering cheers and words of encouragement. I know running and triathlon are individual sports, but what struck me was the extra spring in my step from hearing those encouraging words. To take it to the next level, I truly believe Team WILD can have that positive effect on many women with diabetes who are looking to find that extra “spring in their step” in their diabetes management and athletic goals.
Happy training everyone!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: to “ The Power of Team!