Chi Running

0 comments

October 15, 2008
Jennifer A.


After a year of running, I started developing calf pain last fall. At first I thought it was do to some hill running I did while in Korea. But, I was still having pain when I got back to Chicago.

Being a new runner, I became frustrated as I felt like the hard work I did with my running focus was declining fast. I sought advice from some physical therapists and even a sports medicine physician. They concluded that I had flat feet and needed to get orthotics. I thought it was odd that after several months of running comfortably my so called flat feet are affecting my calves. But, I got the orthotics and slowly got back to running. The pain was improved and I thought, “They were right!” I ran throughout the winter and was doing well with the orthotics.

Just before my half marathon in August, the pain returned. But, I was getting shin pain too… were these shin splints? I ran the half marathon but started walking at mile 12 due to pain in my legs. I walked for a ½ mile and then ran the end in pain. I iced my calves. I rested. Nothing seemed to help. Each time I went out for a run… pain! I had another half marathon scheduled in September. So, I went back to the orthotics place and got refitted. That was what helped last time. Unfortunately, my next race was just 2 weeks away; and, the orthotics were going to take that long to be made. I would have no time to break them in. I got the orthotics 2 days before the race. I was amazed at how flattened my other orthotics got. Since I hadn’t been running much since August’s race, I did not think I would be up for the half marathon. So, I thought I would downgrade to the 5K. The day of the race, it was pouring rain… another sign not to run. Later that day, I took out my new orthotics and tried to run. Pain improved a little, but I was still having discomfort in my calf. Hmmm… maybe I just needed more rest.

Relentless, each week, I would try again to run… the pain was still there. Then, I saw an advertisement for a Chi Running clinic that my swim techniques instructor was giving. “Run without injury and pain.” I asked the instructor what Chi Running was and how would it help. I explained that I have calf pain. He simply said, “You need me.” Skeptical, I thought it would be a lot of mental meditation to think the pain away. Despite my initial thoughts, I signed up… after all, it wouldn’t hurt to hear about it.

Chi running wasn’t about meditating the pain away; it was a running technique that makes you run using your natural mechanics and posture. Using gravity with a lean at your ankles, you use less muscles and effort. The degree of lean controlled how fast you can go. I also learned that the way I landed on my feet contributed to the pain I had in my shins and calves. We ran laps with what we learned. The instructor estimated that we were running at an 8 minute mile pace. This was unbelievable, especially for me, a typical 10-11 minute miler. I wasn’t even winded. The next day, I ran using the techniques I learned. No more calf pain! The following run, I took out my orthotics. Amazingly, no pain! I am no longer a skeptic… Chi Running makes sense. More importantly, I am back to running. Next race… 15K in November.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: to “ Chi Running