I am a Runner!

0 comments

August 22, 2008
Jennifer A.

Last Spring I thought I would start to run to improve my fitness. I thought that if I worked at it, I could run the annual 8K Shamrock Shuffle. After running on the treadmill for a month, I tried to get some friends to sign up for it with me. I immediately got the response, “Running on the treadmill is a lot easier than running outside.” Hmmm… accepting the challenge, the next weekend, I put on my running shoes and decided to try a full-out run outdoors. I think I lasted for 5 minutes before I became winded. I didn’t understand why it was so hard. Alas, I decided to forego the idea of running the shuffle. Besides… much to my surprise, it had sold out months prior. A few weeks later, I got one of those random e-mails from the local running stores that highlighted a learn to run training group meeting.

The first meeting described the running group. They had us discuss what our current activities were and separated us into 4 groups: walk, walk-run, run-walk or run. The coaches looked at all the activities I already did and one of the coaches wondered whether I really needed the group. She immediately said, “You’re a runner.” I looked at her in disbelief and picked up my training guide.

Before our first group run, we were assigned to do a 20 minute “easy” run. Again, I went out with full force and could not keep running for the entire 20 minutes. The first group run was the same time as a work baby shower. I gave my regrets and said I had to go to my first running class and could not go to the baby shower. As I drove to the meeting place, I started getting nervous. We gathered around as the coaches explained the different groups and what to expect. Our first run was for 30 minutes. Ughh! I couldn’t even run the 20 minutes earlier in the week. We finally started running. I felt like we were running at a really slow pace. I easily kept running for the 30 minutes. I realized all those “sprints” I did earlier were too fast. You have to pace yourself for the endurance of the run. At the end of the 10 week training program, I ran my first 5K in 29 minutes. What an achievement!

I continued to run outdoors throughout the fall and winter (living in Chicago, this is another feat!). Registration for the Shamrock Shuffle opened New Years Day. Shortly after midnight, I logged in and signed up. All that winter training helped as it was 30 degrees the day of the shuffle. I ran it comfortably with a group of friends from church. We started talking about doing a race each month… perhaps the Soldier Field 10 miler or even a ½ marathon? Up for the challenge, I ran the 10 miler Memorial Day weekend. And, last weekend I ran my 1st half marathon. No longer in disbelief, I am a runner!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: to “ I am a Runner!