My First Ocean Swim

0 comments

February 3, 2009
Lyndsay


First of all, THANK YOU to Mari and whoever else had any input to choose a venue that was NOT an ocean swim! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I started my official kick off week on vacation in St.Maarten. Really, I wish everyone, especially those in cold climates got a change of pace with hot temps and sunshine like I did. I went for two great runs, outside, which was a great feeling to be off of a treadmill (and not worry about slipping on ice!) My hotel had a gym which I used the bike. And then there was the ocean. . . .

Going into the trip, I was really excited to practice my new swimming skills (big thanks to Celeste for coming to Chicago in January.) I still have a long way to go, but I did look forward to getting in the ocean and actually swimming instead of just bobbing around and body surfing.

I was prepared for the trip and brought my goggles, however they never made it out of the suitcase. When I wear my goggles, comments are frequently made and I often am laughed at. Usually I laugh with them because I know I look like a goof, but the trip was with my husband's work and I did not want to go there and embarrass him. I also never realized how truly wonderful swim caps are. I definitely needed goggles and a cap for my swim. I appreciate my gear more then ever now!

A little history on my swimming story. Before working with Celeste, I had a confident side stroke, but not much else. In September I was at Diabetes Training Camp in Colorado, and I was that beginner who was constantly hugging the side of the pool, choking on water. At the swim clinic in January, Celeste said she was very pleased with how far I had come with my lack of swallowing water. Yeah! I had improved!~

All of that improvement instantly went away when I attempted a relaxed, stroke in the ocean. I swallowed more salt water than a sinking ship. I was far from the TI motto, to "swim like a fish."

I am happy staying a freshwater fish.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: to “ My First Ocean Swim