The Land of the Machines

0 comments

December 15, 2008
Jennifer A.


Running and biking on the bikepath along the Lakefront in Chicago is beautiful. It’s one of the best parts of living where I live. Training in Chicago in the off season, however, means dealing with cold and snow. I remember running consistently in the winter last year, but it seems darkr and colder this season than last. Today’s high will be about 10 degrees. I typically wear 3-4 layers of clothes when I run and even have a “ninja” mask as I fondly call it to keep my face warm. But, of late, it’s been harder to go out in the cold... despite the layers. Thus, the land of machines… treadmill running, which I hate. Looking at the same thing in front of you, can be quite uninteresting. To peak my interest, I’ve created mini goals to get me through the run. I’ve been increasing my speed and inclines in intervals. This should be good when we get into seasonal training, as I have never been one for interval training.

Despite the running and swimming I’ve been doing, I feel like my biking has been neglected and missed. To run outdoors in the cold is one thing, but biking… well, the wind and windchill factor are not forgiving. I asked around about trainers but have not gotten great comments about them. Finally, a person in my swimming class sent me a list of suggestions of trainers. He mentioned a few brands but stressed getting a fluid trainer… not sure what that really means. Of course, looking online, those were the more expensive ones. I got out of work early Friday so headed to one of the triathlon shops. Of course, being the off season, I was the only one in the store. They were able to give me a tutorial on the different trainers, wind vs. magnetic vs. fluid. The fluid ones apparently are quieter and last longer. So, I gave in and bought it (plus it was on sale). Since trainers are known to wreck your tires, I put my hybrid bike in the trainer. I thought this would improve my biking as it has more resistance and would make me peddle better come Spring when I get back on my road bike. Ahh… finally, on my bike and peddling. What a nice feel. I worked up a nice sweat on my bike Friday and Saturday. Too bad it’s still on a machine, indoors, and looking at the same thing. I guess along with my running, I will have to figure out ways to peak my interest for biking.

Good thing we’re going to warm Austin for the ½ Ironman. If it were in Chicago, we would have to do an indoor triathlon in the land of machines.

Happy Holidays!!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: to “ The Land of the Machines