Jumping back into it!

0 comments

October 19, 2008
Sarah


Ever since I got back into exercising I’ve noticed I do so much better when I’m working towards something. Even though everyday exercise helps me control my diabetes and gastroparesis, I feel like my motivation goes up so much when I have a specific goal in mind.

I try to exercise 5-6 days a week to keep my blood sugars in control and keep my gastroparesis from flaring up. But this summer I set my first event-type goals and found myself really wanting to do well. My two main goals this summer were to do the 100-mile ride at the Tour de Cure in Boulder and to complete my first triathlon. My first step towards achieving these goals was I signed up for Diabetes Training Camp. I went to Chicago in June and after camp found myself ready to take on anything! I started training a lot on my bike and logging 12-15 hours a week. By the end of July I had completed an unplanned 150-mile bike tour and couldn’t wait to get to my main events!

In August I completed my first triathlon and immediately signed up for another one. I loved the feeling of working towards something, because when you finish, you feel like you accomplished so much! Unfortunately I got a little de-railed on my path when I broke my arm, but now that I’m almost fully recovered I have been searching for new motivation.

I found it when I took a trip to San Diego to cheer on some fellow type 1’s in a triathlon that I was unable to participate in. I was around so many other diabetics who were so enthusiastic about getting out there and being active. I felt inspired.

I have NEVER been a runner, and it is definitely my weak spot. I don’t think I have ever run more than 5 miles in my life! But I decided to just go for it, and have signed up for my first half-marathon in January. I now have that extra boost of motivation again. I can feel it in my workouts now. When I was recovering from the arm surgery I started to get bored with my workouts and never really felt like dragging myself to the gym. Now I kind of want to go and I can feel myself pushing myself just a little bit harder every time. I’m trying new things (like running drills and speed/hill work) that I’ve never done before and I’m loving it! I feel like I’ve got a breath of fresh air and I’m ready to take on anything—again!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: to “ Jumping back into it!