Diabetes Birthday

0 comments

March 4, 2009
Kathy


I had my 17 year "Diabetes Birthday" this week. Next year, my diabetes can vote!

I thought I would send you all my rough draft of my fundraising letter. Sort of boring, but I'm not feeling very creative for blogging tonight...and I'm sort of watching my WI badger's BB game vs. MN (GO BADGERS!).

The following is literally my first draft/initial thoughts for my fundraising letter. I feel like I may need to cut it down a little, but I'm sitting on it for a few days to see if I can come up with any bright ideas. Here it is...


Hello to all my wonderful friends and family:

Finger Pricks = 31,025

Insulin Needle Injections = 6,570

Insulin Pump Infusion set Injections = 1,144

Continuous Glucose Monitor System Needle Injections = 30

Becoming a triathlete = you guessed it, priceless

I am writing to tell you about an exciting and, hopefully, inspiring group I joined. I, along with 19 other women with diabetes from around the country (and Canada) will be competing in the Longhorn ½ Ironman Triathlon. We call ourselves, Team WILD (Women Inspiring Life with Diabetes), a project of the Diabetes Exercise and Sports Association (DESA). With the support of each other, our coaches and medical staff, we hope to finish the 70.3-mile finish line on October 25, 2009 in Austin, Texas. As I sit here at my computer, I’m trying to compose a coherent letter that captures my enthusiasm and passion for this event. I can’t help but reflect on my last 17 years living with “the sugar,” or Type 1 Diabetes.

During my adolescent years, I convinced myself I would not have diabetes much longer. Surely there would be a cure by the time I was 30! But here I sit, turning 30 this year and there is no cure in sight. Luckily for me, there is a way to manage the disease. And luckier still, there is technology. After about six years of insulin injections via a syringe, technology lead me to my first ‘outer pancreas’ in the form of an insulin pump in January of 1998. My “pancreas” and I have been nearly inseparable for the past 11 years. And now, I am happy to introduce another addition to my pancreas family…a continuous glucose monitoring system, which can record my blood sugar readings every few minutes to better manage trends and effects of various foods in which I eat. Being privileged enough to be a part of such wonderful life-changing technology is not to say daily management is easy, but it is certainly more manageable.
Athletic activities have been an invaluable function of my diabetes management over the years. Growing up participating in team sports, and later running races not only helped keep my blood sugar readings in better control, but perhaps more importantly, helped me keep a sense of self esteem. I thank my parents for instilling an attitude that I can do anything and they never lead me to believe diabetes could stop me from doing something. They may not have been thanking themselves when that attitude led me to apply for the Peace Corps during college, and to a solo two-week trip to Europe upon graduation. But ultimately, I think they would agree with the critical role exercise plays in my life with diabetes.

I’m asking that you join me and Team WILD in this goal. Of coarse, donations are very much appreciated and tax-deductable. Another way to show support is to spread the word, especially if you know someone with diabetes. We want to do exactly what our name implies, inspire others to get out and move! Do what inspires you…join a dance class, take your dog for more walks, run a 5K race or try a triathlon yourself! Check out our website _________________and/or give online at _____________________

Thank you so much for your support.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: to “ Diabetes Birthday