Chachachachanges

2 comments

May 10, 2009
Kathy


I hoped to be writing about my 4 hour rehearsal I planned on doing yesterday, but, alas, I sit hear on my couch with my "diabetes sick protocol" in full force. Diet soda, ice-pops, Kleenex, water and magazines flag both sides of me. I am honored to say our very own Mari Ruddy graces the presence of the May issue of Diabetes Forecast magazine...what a great, inspirational article about her starting the Tour de Cure's Red Rider Program! We are so lucky to have you, Mari!

Back to being sick, if there is one thing I learned from our camp last month, it's that being a triathlete means rolling with the punchs. You fall off your bike, you get back on. You freak out in open water, relax and keep swimming. You feel sick from dehydration, hydrate more next time. And being a triathlete with diabetes means there are a lot of punches. You feel low on the bike, get some sugar in you; you still feel low on the bike, get more sugar in you. Luckily, I'm in between jobs right now and have the next week off. More life changes, but this will give me a chance to recover and do my rehearsal later in the week. I love being reminded of this frame of mind, rolling with changes, and being a part of team WILD is incredibly valuable to me for this. Some changes we bring on ourselves, like my job change, and others we don't ask for, like being diagnosed with diabetes. It seems like I should have something more profound to say now, but nothing's coming to me. Oh well, happy training and rollin'!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



2 comments: to “ Chachachachanges


  • May 11, 2009 at 12:19 PM  

    Kathy,
    I hope you feel better really soon! This blog is really great and totally sums up what it's like to roll with being an athlete and a person with diabetes.
    I am so glad you are on the team!
    Mari


  • May 25, 2009 at 12:21 AM  

    Life is SO full of changes -- being flexible does help make it much easier. Glad you are feeling better now. I am so excited for you as you continue in your training phase. Way to go! I just bought my plane ticket to join you in Austin!