My First 1/2

0 comments

February 1, 2009
Sarah


Hey guys! So I missed my blog date in January, so this can be considered either really late, or a few weeks early =)

So I just wanted to share with everyone that I completed my FIRST 1/2 marathon on Sunday. Holy crap! I still can't even believe it! I have never been a runner and have only done 5k's up until now. I figured though that I should probably try running a half by itself before I attempt to do it immediately after a swim and a bike! So I signed up for the Carlsbad 1/2 marathon and raced along with other diabetics on the Insulindependence running team. I have to say just having fellow diabetic support was nice! But Yoli gave me an excellent training plan, and although I only made it up to 8 miles in my training, I felt somewhat prepared (how prepared are you EVER for your first race, really?).
Anyways, I ran the race along side Sarah Jane (who some of you know from Chicago DTC- blue hair!) and we both finished with PR's. We crossed the finish line together at 2:10!!! And to make the whole day even better, I couldn't have asked for better BS's. I was dropping before the race (I was using my brand new CGM!!) so I ate a few shot blocks and some raisins, and managed to stay 115-120 the entire race. I finished at 102, then ate about 5-10g CHO and spiked to 245 in 30 minutes! Whoa! What happened??? Sarah told me this could be after-race adrenaline? So I gave my normal correction and plummeted to the 40's. After this little lapse in spikes-lows I finally leveled out towards the end of the day. I'm just happy nothing crazy happened DURRING the race- I can deal with whatever comes after!

Happy Super Bowl and I will talk to everyone soon!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: to “ My First 1/2