A Day Late and a Dollar Short

0 comments

January 27, 2009
Tiffany


I always think about what to say in my blog to make it really meaningful. I think for this month I will tell you all the new things I have learned and what I have been doing, since I am new to this whole triathlon thing. My learning curve has been huge. The day I said yes and committed to this I have learned to swim over a mile and do a flipturn. I have attended a two hour spin class and watched my blood sugars actually increase during that time. I have also attended a two hour spin class and watch my blood sugars go way down. I have learned to do speedwork at the track and I have learned how to ride on rollers. The rollers are still stationed in the doorway just in case I fall, but this is all stuff I have never done before. I have ridden a bike outdoors, clipped in and the chain fell off. I actually was spinning so fast before it registerd what had happened that in slow motion I fell over. Pretty funny, but nobody saw. I have learned to share a swim lane, not too good, but I have. It seems to be really hard for me when I do the backstroke. People have been very nice when I run into them. I try to go at times when I don't have to share a lane. I have also tried to wear a different suit so nobody recognizes me and associates me with "the person you don't want to share the lane with". I have even practiced transitions. I felt silly doing these but can see how they can really cut down on your time.

I have reached the point where I bought clip shoes, a new swimsuit, new swim cap, new running shoes and biking shorts that I wear under looser clothing. I am still not comfortable with tight clothing (bike shorts and Zoot suit stuff). I will get there out of neccesity at some point but net yet.

I have a triathlon coach at my local gym, Mark Mico, that is beyond patient with me. His sister has type 1 and wanted to help out not only me but his sister as well. She is waiting for a transplant. She has been called twice but each time it has not worked out for her. I meet with him once a week and he sends me a detailed list of workouts for the week. He thinks I will soon be ready to join the masters swimming at the local pool. Going from knowing how to swim but never was on a swim team to masters is huge for me. I still need to buy a bike but for the time being I am borrowing. There is snow on the ground anyway.

I just appreciate trying new things at a slow pace so I feel successful and want to go back and try it again. It has been really fun. Each day has brought something new.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories