For a Moment I Felt Like I Didn't Have Diabetes

1 comments

May 12, 2009
Lyndsay


Last Thursday I planned to swim and then go for a long bike ride. I woke up higher than usual (I was in the mid 200's) and thought to myself "great, just what I needed!," and moved forward by changing my pump site, bolusing, and off to the pool I was. 1 hour later, I came home to change into cycling clothes, checked my blood and was around 190.

I planned on riding for 50 miles, and packed appropriately for hydration and nutrition needs for the 3-4 hour ride. I had started a temp basal of 75% of my normal basal, and planned on taking in 25g carb every 30 minutes. 15 miles later, checked and was 116. At mile 30, I was 149. The remaining ride I stuck to my nutrition plan, and ended up riding a total of 56 miles. At the end, I was 151. When I was finished, I was thrilled with what started as a "*#^ diabetes day, to feeling like I didn't have diabetes. I thought about what Matt had said at camp. Something along the lines of "By keeping your insulin levels close to normal, and sticking to your nutrition requirements 30-60g carb/hour, the numbers often just fall into place." That is was I experienced and felt awesome.

The week before I went for a 30 mile ride with my husband. I was packed with plenty of carb sources and had 2 water bottles. He had 1 bottle filled with Gatorade. Walking out the door, I said, "is that all you are bringing?" and he said he would be fine. Hmmm right around mile 12 with 3/4 of his water bottle still full, he said "are we almost to the turn around point?" With a grin on my face I said getting close, but are you feeling tired? He hesitated as he said no, and I said to him, "Just because you don't have diabetes doesn't mean you can get away with not taking in carbs during exercise and not drinking enough!"

For anyone who wasn't at camp, that was a big takeaway. Other than having diabetes, we are no different than an athlete without. We can't always just base are next step on what are blood sugar is. (Big props to Marcey for getting this point across at camp!)This was something that was a big change for me and how I managed my blood sugar during exercise from from last year to this year.
I am loving the results!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



1 comments: to “ For a Moment I Felt Like I Didn't Have Diabetes


  • May 13, 2009 at 9:54 AM  

    Lyndsay,
    You are a machine!!!! Love it that you swam and rode (56 miles, you are a total inspiration!!) I am in complete agreement that we are athletes first, then we deal with the diabetes! Love it that you're teaching your husband. Thanks for sharing this.
    Big hug,
    Mari