234

1 comments

May 26, 2009
Karen R.


Lucked out that I got a race number I could remember and the sequence of numbers, well, okay, 1-2-3- would make more sense, but the 2-3-4 sequence kept me focused on the basics. Hydrate, fuel, hydrate some more.

The Sahuarita "Lake" triathlon is held each year on Memorial Day and is a sprint consisting of a 1K swim, 25K bike, and 5K run. I've never done this race and didn't really know what to expect. Past participants had said how you come out of the water covered in slime and that there was a killer hill on the bike course. Attended the prerace meeting and the race director assured us the water was not slimy, however, it is tinted to inhibit algae growth, but more on that later. As the bike course was changed at the last moment, we also received details on what was now a 2-loop course instead of an out and back.

So as many others have blogged, my morning started early, 3:00 am wake up to eat breakfast. Getting up that early was a bit rough as I hadn't been able to fall asleep the night before, ooooh, the anticipation, felt like a kid going to Disneyland for the first time. At wake up BS was a bit low, 63, so only a 3-unit bolus for 60 g (toast w/peanut butter and cinnamon & sugar, banana, and coffee). On the road by 4:30 and BS is 83. Make it to the transition area around 5:30 am, race doesn't start for another hour, plenty of time to get my towel width of space set up, get body marked, and check again, now 103. Go check out the "lake," and talk with a couple of guys from my swim group. At 5:46 a.m. my sensor wants the BG now, so go back to transition and BS is 97. Make the decision not to swim with pump attached based on length of the swim and BS levels. My wave leaves at 6:38 a.m. and at 6:20, walk back to the transition area, get goggles, cap, take shoes off, check one more time and BS now 122. Perfect. Disconnect the pump.
Before the race there was a lot of chatter on whether to wear a wetsuit. I thought I'd rather swim cold than wear a wetsuit. It's Arizona after all and has been hotter than usual this May. Never did hear what the lake temp was but by the number of people wearing wetsuits, I'm thinking it was around 75 to 77 degrees. Get in the water and it's no colder than the pool I swim in. I need to add that this is a man-made lake and not large at all. It was like swimming in a really big pool with no lane lines, really choppy. Earlier I mentioned the water was tinted. The tint makes the water very blue and apparently does what it's designed to do, which is stop sunlight from penetrating. It was a weird, disorienting swim of contrasts. Dark light dark light. I learned to look for caps so I wouldn't swim over people. It was really difficult to see people until you were right on top of them. The swimmers thinned out at the buoy turn around and the second half was an easier more relaxed swim. Get out of the "lake" by crawling over the concrete wall and walk to T1.

This is where I realized I'm still glucocentric. BS is now 168 and figure it's still climbing. Bolus 1/2 unit of insulin and start drinking green tea. Get on the bike. About halfway through the first loop and I've gone through about 10 ozs. The ride starts to feel so good, doesn't the ride always feel good on smooth pavement? Drink a little more tea, then start with Gatorade to make sure I have fuel on board for the run. Drink around 16 oz. of Gatorade and then finish with more tea. That really good feeling I was having on my bike started to go away about half way into the second loop--even with new road bike shoes and a recent bike fitting, my feet are still going numb. I don't know how to fix this yet, but know the moment I get off the bike and into my runners, the numbness will go away.

T2--BS now 156, swig some more Gatorade and start the run. It's hot, my shins hurt but decide to suck it up and tell myself not to walk. My race belt has my strips container on it and I listen for the rhythm of the click as they hit the top and bottom of the container. Love it when the race volunteer says we have some shade coming up. Manage to slip off the edge of the sidewalk we're on and luckily don't twist my ankle. Decide to walk a bit. Get water at the aid station and start to run. I pass a man who passed me at the end of the bike portion. He encourages me to try to catch the woman ahead of me, really? She just passed me, so that's not going to happen. Get some more water at the next aid station and keep going knowing that I'm about half way through. Run a bit more, begin to wonder when it gets easier, start to walk and look at my sensor reading which is showing double arrows up and reading 177. Decide to take another 1/2 unit. The man I had passed earlier catches up to me and says, "come on," and I whine, "my shins hurt," whereupon he responds, "I'm old enough to be your father, if I can do it, you can do it." Thought about playing the diabetes card then remember what I wrote in a blog a while ago, about diabetes being a disease, not an excuse. Keep my mouth shut and introduce myself to Clarence. We ran together some more until he dropped back and told me to go for it. Cross the finish line, all done, I did it!! Race folks take my tag, hand me my t-shirt. Go back to finish area, Clarence has crossed, I congratulate him, give him a high five and we go get some food and water.

End of race BS is 142, eat half a banana, drink two cups water; BS 124 before heading back to Tucson; 81 when I make it home. Race results: 9 of 12 in age group; 77 of 110 women; 256 of 305 total competitors. Total time 2:02:56.
Overall, I came away feeling happy and I had fun! This was the first sprint I've done in 14 years and the experience was so much better. In those 14 years so many things have changed--age group, pump, insulin, fueling, medical education, and support. I'm still savoring that feeling of accomplishment and the comment of a spectator, "Not only did she finish, she did it with diabetes."

Thank You all for helping me achieve this; I'm so looking forward to October 25th!!!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



1 comments: to “ 234