Opening Up

0 comments

January 14, 2009
Becca


This past September, I quit my job of 3 years to go back to school full-time in order to apply to nursing programs. While in the midst of my transition (a.k.a. still working about 30 hours per week while juggling a courseload of about 14 units – a LOT!), my grandfather, to whom I was very close, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and passed away within about 2 weeks. Two weeks after that my father had surgery to follow up the chemo and radiation he had undergone for colorectal cancer, and nearly died from septic shock due to a nasty antibiotic resistant strain of bacteria he probably picked up in the hospital. And through all this, I was trying to get nursing school applications done and write cheerful, upbeat essays saying choose me!!
Basically, I have spent the last five months of my life in a constant battle to keep my head above water. Some of you were probably surprised to see my name in your inbox attached to the word “blog”. Since my very first in ohhh maybe October, I have been MIA in the blog department. You should see my Team WILD Blogs folder on my computer – I have about 6 of them started!!! But I stopped halfway through all of them; everything I wrote kind of just felt like a lie because I really just wanted to write HELP ME!!!! I AM DROWNING!! And then, throw my computer out the window J
Among my friends, I am the “cheerleader”, the supporter, the one who people turn to when they need help. These past few months, though, I have learned who the people are who I can turn to for help, who will be my cheerleaders. And one of the places I found strength and inspiration is through all of you – through the blogs and communications and excitement of what really is an amazing group of women that I am proud to be a part of. You probably didn’t know it, but y’all are my cheerleaders.
It has been really wonderful to start getting to know everyone and to read about all of your progress with training, diabetes, and life. I am sorry that I wasn’t really able to give of myself this fall – it was too much for me to open up to a new group of people when I was going through so much. But I’m BACK. I feel like myself again, like I am finally able to be excited about things again! So thank you, all, for inspiring me during the months that I was struggling. I can’t wait for the race, and for all of the amazing challenges we will face and overcome together between now and October 18. It certainly is a Happy New Year!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: to “ Opening Up