Knowledge is Power

0 comments

August 11, 2008
Lyndsay

A funny story for you ladies. In June I had the opportunity to help out with Diabetes Training Camp as a dietitian. A little more about me: I am 5 feet tall and back in June had never been exposed to the "cycling world." I brought my mountain bike in case I had any extra time to go with campers during training sessions. Several times I offered some of the staff/campers who did not have bikes the option to use my bike. I heard the same response each time, "Hah, your bike is not going to fit me!" My response, "I didn't bring my tricycle!" I had no idea all of the sizing importance beyond seat adjustment. Last week I bought my first road bike, and I no longer take those comments made about my "little person bike" personal. Now I clearly understand the importance of the right sized bike.

After reading everyones bio's, I began thinking about how we all have the same drive to complete this triathlon, yet we have different backgrounds. What really got me thinking was in regards to age of diagnosis. Some of us, including myself were diagnosed at a young age (3yo). I was a diabetic before an athlete. Although I have never let diabetes get in the way of pursing my goals and interests, I do feel at times it didn't allow me to expand out of my comfort zone when it came to endurance events. Others, were involved in sports first, and were then diagnosed. I imagine how challenging it must have been to participate and not have to worry about diabetes one day-and then for that to completely change. Which would be easier? I don't think there is an answer to that. Regardless of age and duration of diabetes, I think it is awesome to think we have used diabetes as a positive, and I think most would agree with this statement, "it has made me a stronger person."

Whether skill/technique related, or diabetes management, I value what others can share with me. Knowledge is so powerful!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: to “ Knowledge is Power