Hello Everyone

0 comments

January 4, 2009
Kathy


I'm so excited that it is 2009! No more saying, "Yeah, I'm doing a half Ironman triathlon next year." That's a thing of the past, 'cause we're doing it this year baby!

I thought I stay on the topic of swimming, since Wendy brought it up recently and a few of us are getting together in Chicago this weekend for Celeste-inspired swim training. I, too, am very curious about how many "laps" we will be doing in the race, especially with no touching the bottom and no clinging onto the side when one accidentally inhales water.

Last fall I thought I'd search for a pool to train in, since the lakes around here can be gross in the summer (especially late summer) and frozen in the winter, literally. My search took me to the area technical college, which happens to be only about four miles from my house! I don't particularly care for barely out of high school-looking boys "working out" in the floor to ceiling window area above the pool, but I put my insecurities aside for my water workout.

I have to say, I really missed my DTC swim buddies my first few times to the pool, but the memories did make me chuckle to myself. I desperately tried to remember the total immersion drills I was doing by the end of camp. Then that fancy toon hit me..."Dummda. Dummda. Dummdaaaaaa. BREATHE!" (Celeste, that was probably the most memorable and useful thing you taught me.) After my second time at the pool doing these drills, I decided to ask the life guard if she knew anything about not getting water in your goggles. She asked me what I was doing in the pool. Slightly mortified that I was doing some totally unrecognizable technique of not drowning, I explained the TI drills. After the explanation, she said she thought that was what I was doing...and I'm choosing to believe her.

So far so good with the blood sugar thing while swimming. I don't remember my exact numbers, but I think they drop about 30 points or so after 30 minutes of swimming. I'm hoping to learn more about how to manage this for longer distances...Nancy's previous email about a waterproof pouch thing sounds intriguing to try.

Now I'm off to Chicago, where I'm sure the weekend will be full of laughing, and maybe I can learn to swim like a dolphin...

I hope everyone had a safe, happy and healthy new year.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: to “ Hello Everyone