Thoughts During A Training Ride

0 comments

August 29, 2009
Kathy Z.


After a rather eventful bike ride with a plethora of thoughts running through my mind, eureka, I’ve got a theme for my next blog.

Intention: 40-mile early morning endurance bike ride, basking in the warm summer sun through beautiful rolling Wisconsin farmland.
Reality: 32-mile endurance-turned-interval bike ride completely soaking wet in the cold, unpredictable Wisconsin summer weather through rainy, obnoxiously hilly, manure-smelling Wisconsin farmland.

Pre-ride – “Since Charlie Shortino [local weatherman personality] says it may rain late morning, I’ll practicing getting up, eating and go for an early (7 AM) ride. What a beautiful morning, I think I’ll ride northwest to Hwy 12. I like that path by the highway. What should I eat?”

Mile 1 – “Hmm, it’s kind of chilly in a tank top. Note to self, wear a short sleeved bike shirt next time in this temperature.”

Mile 5 – “It looks dark over there. I thought those clouds weren’t supposed to come until later this morning. Maybe they are miles away, and if I ride fast enough… Oh yeah, drink some Gatorade. Fueling the athlete, fueling the athlete.”

Mile 8 – “I like corn. I like to eat corn on the cob. I need to buy some, why haven’t I bought any this year yet? I’ll put it on the grocery list, and then Berta [my partner] will buy some at the store. How can she NOT like corn? It’s not as windy since the cornfields have grown so high. I bet they are 5 feet tall! It always amazes me, those tiny little seeds grow so big.”

Mile 10 – “This hill sucks. I think I’ll focus my annoyance on Coach Yoli. She said she is used to people being mad at her during training. Okay, focus. 1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10… Wow I’m breathing hard. At least I get to go downhill now. Watch Out below! 38 mph awesome, and kind of scary. Fuel the athlete.”

Mile 12 – “Is that a raindrop. Oh crap. This wasn’t supposed to happen until LATE morning Mr. Charlie Shortino! I would not classify 8 AM as late morning. Well, everything is good practice? Now I guess I can practice riding with sprinkles. It rains in Texas, right? Nope, you can’t control the weather.”

Mile 15 – “Wow, it’s really poring now. I should turn around. Please no lightning, please no lightning. I wonder if cars on Hwy 12 are looking at me, wondering what a biker is doing out here in this rain. Their windshield wipers are probably on high.”

Mile 20 – “Stupid sunglasses. My butt’s wet. Yeah, and my white tank top was a really great idea, brilliant, in fact. Burrrrr. Fuel the athlete.”

Mile 25 – “Who can I blame, who can I blame, oh yeah, Yoli! You stink…making us train on a frickin’ Tuesday. Okay, stop blaming Yoli. You did this to yourself; she didn’t make you go out today, with the threat of rain. Those cows really stink. All these years in Wisconsin, I just can’t get used to that smell. How do farmers do it?”

Mile 28 – “Concentrate on bike handling skills. Going downhill at 38 mph is probably not a smart idea with wet concrete. Break…break some more. Fuel the athlete.”

Mile 30 – Another biker, who is NOT wet, passes me from behind as says, “Got caught in the rain, huh?” “Is it that obvious? I probably have a giant brown stripe up my back. Why isn’t the road wet here? Are you telling me I rode into that storm! Sigh. I should have gone east.”

Mile 32 – “Home at last. Hi dogs. Hello shower!”

Most of the above thoughts are indeed true, and yes, it is quite entertaining to be me.
Happy Training, even if it’s raining.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories