The Home Stretch & Why I Do This

0 comments

September 29, 2009
Mari


Like so many of the team, I did the long rehearsal this past Saturday. We did it in conjunction with the CWW tri club women training for the Arizona Ironman. This meant that Yoli and a few other coaches were there for support for the day. I had a race plan and executed it with flexibility and precision, which seems contradictory, but if you are a person with diabetes and an athlete, you know exactly what I’m talking about.

I realized while I was out there swimming 1.33 miles (it was a meter pool), biking 56 miles and running 10 miles, that I absolutely love this sport. Granted I knew that before I embarked for the day, but doing it, feeling it, suffering, and loving it all at once merged into this beautiful realization about why I love it.

It’s because of the continual learning that happens. It’s why I can hardly wait until next season to do it all again, there are so many lessons I’ve learned this season that I am excited to put into place next season. Here are a few of the things I realized and learned this past Saturday that are key for me to remember on race day. And like Ramona said in her blog, what we learn is highly personal. These are my learnings!

Do not take any supplements or vitamins race day (or the day before) I knew this from previous race days, but I forgot. As a result, my stomach hurt in part because of this. Small but important detail. This sport is ALL about the details!





Put body glide on all my seams under my arms and inside my socks. Chafing and blisters are a new thing for me and body glide really works. Thanks Coach Bree for having some available mid-way through the run! I plan to have a stick of the stuff at both our transitions.





I really love having the sensor on the day before and during the race.
With the help of the continuous glucose monitor (the sensor) I did a great job the day before the rehearsal of keeping my blood sugar above 80 mg/dl the full 24 hours before the event. As Marcey, our Sports Dietician, reminded us, it’s important for glycogen stores in the liver to be topped off and fully available on race day, which means any low blood sugars in the 24 hours before the event make a serious dent in those stores. The sensor is a great tool we have available to us.


I am not very social right before, during or immediately after the race. I really like and need to get into my own story, into my own head and body space. My interactions with team mates are best limited to very superficial and upbeat comments and words of encouragement. I tend to smile a lot, but no details. I don’t want to share what’s happening with my blood sugars or discuss my plan of action. And as important, I don’t want to hear the details of what your blood sugar is doing or how your plan is going, that’s your story and I get distracted by those details. And before and during the race the name of the game is FOCUS. Once I’m done and have gotten some food, then I love exchanging our stories.


Carrying two water bottles on the hot run is perfect. I have one water bottle in my fuel belt and one bottle with electrolytes that I carry in the back of my sports bra (thanks Coach Celeste for this hot tip!) With all this extra water available, I can spray myself down and stay cool. This was a key to staying focused during the heat on Saturday.




The coaches and fans on the route really make a difference! I love the cheering and the support and the blast of energy and encouragement that comes as they yell and smile and jump up and down. I can feel it pull me to the finish line! And crossing that finish line is what it’s all about. As Sally Edwards says, “the woman who starts the race is not the same woman who finishes.” I’m excited to see what women we’ll all be at the finish of the Longhorn.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories