An Evolving Athlete

1 comments

September 22, 2009
Lyndsay


This past week was a recovery week, with a lighter training weekend. Saturday I swam, and Sunday a 5 mile run. As I went for my “short run” I thought about how in the past, a 5 mile run or 25 mile bike was a daunting goal, and now it was considered my light day.

The previous weekend I successfully completed the training recommendations: a 1.5 mile swim, 14 mile run, and 75 mile ride. In all three sports, I went the farthest I had ever gone (in one weekend!) I have been committed to this team for over a year now. Yet, even 6 months ago if you told me I would be having this type of weekend, my mouth still would have dropped and I would have thought, wow, I am not sure that I could do that.

Although it is a real feel good moment to think how far I have come in the past year, more importantly I think about how my experience and evolution as a diabetic athlete can be used to encourage others. Today, my family, friends, and coworkers think I am “hard core.” However, it wasn’t too long ago I was in beginner shoes! After all, that is the whole inspiration story of Team WILD—showing the power of support, education, and that hard work pays off!

6 months ago I would NOT have had a smile getting into the water...

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



1 comments: to “ An Evolving Athlete