Am I an Athlete?

0 comments

September 13, 2009
Jennafer C.


This is a label that I toy with while I am training. When I think athlete, I in vision a trim, toned, and able to complete any active activity person. So, am I an Athlete? Can I wear my cute pink Nike t-shirt with "ATHLETE" in red printed on it honestly without feeling like a fraud? I am a few pounds over weight, have some muscle some where, and can complete most active activities with a good effort and lots of struggling. I have felt like a wanna be "Athlete." If you look through my box of gear that I keep by my door, I have all the makings of an Athlete. That box is full of swim caps, running shoes, the stick, football cleats, running gloves for winter, road id, heart rate monitor, biking shoes, you name it, if it has to do with any of my activities, it is in that box. I have just been back into training since mid August. I completed the Chicago Triathlon Sprint distance a few minutes faster with only 2 true weeks of training than any of my sprint triathlons that I trained for all summer last year. I was on cloud 9 crossing the finish line at Chicago. Good friends were cheering me on and I was finally able to do it instead of cheering my friends on. I am back in the game! But, was I an Athlete yet? My final acceptance of calling myself an Athlete came later that night. I am a Pilot and had to catch a commercial flight to NYC later that evening to fly a private jet for a week. When I got to my hotel in NYC, I realized I packed everything to continue my training while traveling: RoadID, water bottle, nutrition, heart rate monitor, swim suit, cap, goggles, running shoes, and clothes for running. What I didn't pack was my round brush for drying my hair out straight or flat iron. I realized my desire to keep up with my training was a priority over my desire to look professional while working.... I am an Athlete! I'm going to start wearing my pink "ATHLETE" t shirt proudly.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: to “ Am I an Athlete?