Down, and Kinda Out …

0 comments

August 28, 2009
Cheryl


Training for a triathlon is easy. Yes! I said easy as in uncomplicated. You just design your workouts (or have that done for you), and just do them. See? Simple. This isn’t about ability. We’re all capable of doing anything we set our minds to.
The challenging part is remaining motivated. While training for three events typically means you don’t have to do the same thing daily, boredom can set in. After all, how exciting is it to go to the pool, do warm ups, do your main set, cool down, get out, shower and continue on with your day? It’s a lather-rinse-repeat kinda scenario. Do you find washing your hair exciting?

**************************************************************
Today’s entry chronicles a puzzling event for me and helps explain the title of my entry.
**************************************************************

June 16: I overslept and didn’t make it to my group run and decided to run on my own. Now “run” is relative. I mostly alternate with a fast jog and brisk walk, but, I was determined to run for 25 minutes before slowing down to walk for a few minutes.
Merrily I’m running along, feeling really invincible that day. It was overcast, and fewer people were out on the trail than normal. I wondered if it was a local holiday. At about the 9 minute mark, I passed by the apartment complex that always has at least 10 stray cats hanging about. That morning, a few stopped to watch me was I strode by. My cheering section meowed meekly as I rode by. They were subdued only because most of the apartment dwellers were still asleep (it was just 6:30 am or so). Just as I cleared the complex, I went down.
Down as in hands slid on the pavement, chin bounced off, and glasses popped off down. Embarrassed, I got up, looked around and whew! Nobody saw my ungraceful tumble to the ground.
No matter the effort, I couldn’t get the stride back that I’d had to that point. I settled for jogging for 4 minutes, walking for 2 to complete the 3 mile run.
Back in the car, I checked for signs of injury. No torn clothes, no blood, no scratches, no nuthin’. Home to shower, shampoo, and shine. Then, off to work. Uneventful day and the day after.

Thursday June 18: I made it to my run group on time. My trainer and I ran together, and that day I ran 11 minutes without stopping. She said I looked good, and asked how I felt. “My knee feels wobbly, but other than that, I feel very strong,” I replied.
Same deal as on Tuesday; no ill effects from the run (and no fall either), so off to work.

Friday June 19-Monday June 29: Knee often buckles when walking (i.e. Cheryl falls down). Seek chiropractic treatment. Feel good for several hours afterwards, but nothing persists except the pain and swelling. Buy & use knee brace.

July 1 – July 10: On vacation. River rafting, bouldering, rock scrambling, hiking. Should I be doing these things? Yeeesssss. I’m on vacation dammit! Wear knee brace, but feel awkwardly weak when I take it off. Cause for concern? Not then.

Rest of July: no improvement, but no deterioration either. Chiro orders MRI and I get an appointment with orthopedist. Found an ortho who is also a triathlete. Score!

August: Orthopedist tries cortisone shot. No benefit. After further evaluation and second review of MRI, orders arthroscopic surgery. Sigh.

Down & Kinda Out: No training for the event is really possible. Can swim but bike and run just not happening. Most days my walk resembles that of a hermit crab. Pain & swelling are too much. So, no event for Cheryl but happy for the progress made by the rest of the team!

I’m anxious to find out what’s really wrong, fix it so I’m better than new for 2010!
Good luck at Longhorn Tri ladies! I’ll be there in spirit.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: to “ Down, and Kinda Out …