Cycling Shoe Stuck in the Head

0 comments

August 30, 2009
Nancy


There is no "I" in team. Sometimes we forget that...wait scratch that...sometimes I forget!
This past year has been a crazy one! I got lost in overextending myself in obligations, and well, just my regular everyday life has been overextended. I've had to rely on my wonderful husband for a ton of junk...and for this anal, control freak kinda girl that was hard but necessary to get through the day sometimes. (NO I in team..he and I are a great team!) The ever supporting spouse shouldn't have to do it all, and when push comes to shove, decisions have to be made.

I was giving advice to an athlete a while back..."You need to be realistic on your life and your training. Maybe this isn't the right time for you"...blah, blah, blah. You get the picture. It was like someone thew my cycling shoe at me and it got stuck in my head...DUH! Skipped workouts, sleeping in, and the workouts I did get in were not always the quality or volume needed to get me ready for a 70.3 race.
Much to my disappointment, I had to make the big, hard decision to not join my WILD women in Austin for the Half Ironman. Beyond that, I made a bigger decision to not race at all this year. This is the first year I haven't raced since I started any type of racing back in 2000. "Be realistic about your life" I said. Crap! How did I become so sensible?? Damn that old age thing!
I have to say that once I said it out loud there was a big relief. The pressure was off me now. The downside of that was I now had an excuse NOT to wake up early to do anything except drink coffee and take the dog for a walk. (Although walking Cooper is like a race..LOL!) I'm working on it now. Life has been handed back to me, and I'm looking forward to a L O N G base phase of training to get my s**t back together.

This story could go on and on, with more details that lead me to where I am now. But I'm moving on and not dwelling on the past!
So...to my WILD Team....I am forever in spirit with you and using each one of you for my motivation. Watch out for 2010...I'll be ready!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories