New To The Team

0 comments

September 25, 2009
Karyn B.


I’m Karyn and I’m new to the Team! So, I’m new to Team WILD but not new to team diabetes - I have had Type I diabetes since 04/10/1990. Yeah, most people probably don’t remember the EXACT date of diagnosis but it was my 15th birthday … I’m also new to being an athlete with diabetes. At the beginning of the summer I had set my sights on 100km on my bicycle and fundraising for Tour de Cure which benefits the American Diabetes Association. I did it – I had a tire blow out and had FUN!
I was sitting for the picture of all the Red Riders – people with diabetes who rode the ride, no matter what length…. 100 miles, 100km, etc. There is this very lively woman next to me who asks “Do you run?”. No, I answer (that’s a whole other story of why I don’t run). She then asks “Do you swim?”. Again, no. I HATE fish and don’t want to be in the water with them – again, LONG story. She says “Remind me to give you a card – would you ride your bicycle in a half-marathon on a relay team?”. I don’t even hesitate and answer YES. OH BOY! That is how I met Mari.
At the beginning of this summer I had commited to 62 miles… I weighed 190 lbs and my A1C was 7.6% when I did this. My first ‘long ride’ was 12 miles. WOW. 12 miles is a normal, short lunch ride now. Well, 5 months later I weigh 155lbs and my last A1C was 5.9%! If I had met Mari a year ago I would have ‘hemmed and hawed’ about a half-triathlon team. No way I could EVER do that. And yet, 2 weeks later I had a bike case rented and plane tickets purchased. I’m not even registered for the race yet but even if that doesn’t materialize I will be there to cheer these ladies on.
I have been out of the state (Colorado) and away from my bicycle for a week now. I have been on a stationary bicycle once this week. I will be home in a few days and the very first thing that I will do is get on my bicycle and ride until I remember how happy it makes me and since I will only be 10 feet from my front door I’ll go ahead and ride a few more miles (like 10 or 20). My bicycle makes me happy and the opportunity to show the world what athletes with diabetes can do makes me even happier. (There, I said it, ATHLETE – nope, I have never said that about myself before).
See ya in TEXAS ladies!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: to “ New To The Team