We’re Here!!!!

1 comments

October 23, 2009
Sarah W.


I have just arrived in Austin and the big day is only 3 days away!!! At this point I don’t even know how to describe how I am feeling because there are so many emotions going on at once. I am excited, anxious, nervous, giddy, inpatient, sad, happy, and any other adjective you can think of!

But no matter what happens on Sunday the important thing is what we are doing to reach out to other women with diabetes, the impact we are making, and how far we have come as a team in just a little over a year!

I was talking to my mom on the phone right before I got on the plane this afternoon, and was a little upset. I was bummed that after a year of so much hard work, training, and build-up to all my family and friends that I wasn’t going to complete the entire race (I hurt my hip about a month ago and cannot run). I felt like I wasn’t going to accomplish the goal I had been working towards and that is always disappointing. But then my mom reminded me of the bigger picture. It really isn’t about the actual race, but more about everything we did to get here and the impact we will have on the diabetic community. We are setting an example for women of all ages with diabetes that they can do anything and diabetes does not have to stop them in any way! The year of training has also had more benefit than completing the run in the actual race will ever have. I have learned more about my body, my diabetes, my health and my mental well being than I ever have before. I have overcome so many health obstacles and am the healthiest I have been in years. And that means so much more than the race itself.

So no matter what happens on Sunday, for all of us, it’s the fact that we are all here in Austin to do what has never been done before- 20 women with diabetes coming together and racing in an event together! All while managing diabetes and all the other crap that life throws at you!

I know I will look back on this weekend and be amazed at what we have accomplished as a team, not dwell on the fact that I couldn’t do the run!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



1 comments: to “ We’re Here!!!!


  • October 24, 2009 at 2:12 AM  

    Good luck guys! May the force be with you!

    You are exactly right, no matter whether you are worst or first, what matters is that you are going for it! The fact that you guys are even there is a flag that you have chosen to wave high above your head, a flag that can be seen by many a person, diabetic or otherwise! This flag each of you hold high that says "I am living life to the max. Living life in a WILD style - and I love it!"

    Best of luck guys - get out there hard and get home safe!

    Jamie