We Love Our Type 3 Supporters!

0 comments

October 28, 2009
Susan Y.


All events leading up to race day at Longhorn 70.3 were an education for me. As a type 3 supporter, I was a fly on the wall, listening to all the gals talk about their strategies, plan A, then plan B, pre-race plans, checking in with Matt, Celeste, Nicle, Yoli, Marcey about their nutrition, bike/swim strategies, insulin levels, monitors, lancets, sensors, etc. I was feeling a little out of the loop there.

I knew what my race strategy would be - don't go out too fast, pace yourself on the run, drink water at every station, cheer everyone on, don't get cramps. I think out of all of those, I only did two of them - drink water at every station and cheer everyone on. I was so antsy waiting 7 hours (arriving at 5:45AM) before my run leg to start, that I went out too fast on the first loop, then every mile and loop thereafter was progressively slower. Well, duh, isn't that what always happens to me? Note to self - talk to Yoli about pacing strategy...again. Dang, after 15 years of triathlons, you'd think I would get it straight by now.

I was really happy when Sarah Worah needed someone to hold her sensor while she was doing the swim. She was worried about how she was going to get it after the swim. Me, me, me! Let me do something important...which it was for her and I was happy to do so. While waiting in the swim to bike relay exchange pen with Karyn Brown, Sarah's sensor was vibrating so that was making me nervous. Karyn explained what it was doing and that it was nothing to worry about, so I relaxed. Sarah soon came running up the ramp from the swim, I handed her the sensor and off she went on the bike. Yaay, I did my job.

It was fun seeing all the orange/blue Team Wild uniforms along the run course. We would see each other, give thumbs up, high fives, smiles and words of encouragement. This happens all the time at Team CWW events, but there is something more special with Team Wild - it's almost like they have a little secret - diabetes - that they share with each other and no one else. I felt honored to be part of that secret.

Running though the Team WILD support tent!

It was a great time for me and I'm not going to complain about how my quads were sore the day after and even a little today. It was a humbling experience this past weekend. Being humbled is good, puts you back in your place, but in a good way.

Team Wild, thanks for sharing your experience, pain, friendship and reality with me these past few days. Looking foward to the next event and congratulations to a great accomplishment!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories