Move Over Corn!

1 comments

October 5, 2009
Kathy


A new vegetable has my heart – the kohlrabi, yes, the kohlrabi. In one of my previous blogs, I was singing the praises of corn, but since then, I’ve been re-introduced to kohlrabi. What a glorious food! And what, pretell, is it about the kohlrabi that I hold so dear to my heart? My answer to that is, what isn’t to love? That woody yet sweet, easy to peal, crispy, apple-like spear of goodness is nearly a “free food” for those of use who count carbs.

This isn’t my first time falling in love with the kohlrabi, I remember it from a very distant past, like a gorgeous piece of art that is way out of your price range, but shows up years later in a budget gallery in smaller size print. Please note, I still very much like my corn. But if you have been following any of the Michael Pollen food industry stuff, you will know corn is basically in everything! Kohlrabi is corn-free (as far as I know) a full fledged vegetable, unlike proponent who call corn a “starchy vegetable.”

What does this have to do with the triathlon? Nothing, but it does serve as a very nice distraction for my mind from this monumentous event in 21 DAYS! During the last miles of the triathlon, I’ll try to think about the kohlrabi. If you happen to see me, shouting HEY KOHLRABI is sure to make me smile, as well as make others wonder, “What the heck?” Despite my performance at the race, please don’t throw any kohlrabi at me, but toss them gently my way.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



1 comments: to “ Move Over Corn!


  • October 5, 2009 at 8:32 PM  

    Oh my goodness! I thought I was probably the only one who loves this vegetable!! Another great one is the rutabaga...yummy goodness!!
    Not sure if your stomach would love Kohlrabi during the race, but it's certainly something fun to think of during the long course!
    JS