Stay Away From the Cupcakes!

1 comments

October 8, 2009
Lyndsay


I am ALWAYS hungry! A year ago I even voiced my excitement on this blog of knowing I would need to be eating more to fuel my body! In the thick of training, I have really noticed my appetite increasing, and not always at the most convenient times! …..

Lately, this has made treating night-time hypoglycemia extra challenging. Not over-treating lows was something that in previous years I had struggled with. To overcome this, I have made sure to have pre-packaged (15-20g carb) items like fruit snacks bedside. I trained myself to stay away from the kitchen when treating lows. Lately, that has gone out the window. When waking up to a night-time low, I can not ignore my ravenous hunger. So I end up eating far beyond 15g of carb, and bolus for extra carbs consumed. Most of the time, it works out!

Last weekend Jennifer Ahn, Jenna Cohrs, and I traveled to Wisconsin for the long rehearsal. We stayed at my in-laws and filled the counter top with our food for our training getaway. Treating the rehearsal like the actual race, I gave myself Levemir the night before and set a temp basal of 10% on my pump. I went to bed with a blood sugar of 145, to wake up at 2am to my sensor alerting me I was low. As I stood up and made my way to the kitchen (I really felt low!), I started with a banana. Then came a cupcake (AMAZINGLY GOOD-thanks Jennifer!)…but it didn’t stop there…then a pretzel dipped in peanut butter… I was in such a zombie-like mode, that I forgot to bolus for the extra 60g+ carb I consumed!
Yikes, needless to say, I did not wake up with an optimal pre-race blood sugar! Lesson learned! I will be eating a snack before going to bed, and will NOT be keeping cupcakes and extra snacks in my hotel room!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



1 comments: to “ Stay Away From the Cupcakes!