How Not to Ride a Bike

0 comments

August 14, 2009
Jennifer A.


I feel like I know how to ride a bike… this I learned when I was a child when my training wheels came off. Granted, I rode my bike growing up, but not as intensely as I do now… and, even that has just really come to pass over the last year when I got my road bike. But, lately, I feel like I need to relearn how to ride.

Living in Chicago is great because there are so many places to bike. I try to bike to work at least 1-2 times a week (depending on how much stuff I have to lug around). A few weeks ago, it was predicted to rain in the afternoon… but to stop by the time I go home. I took a chance and decided to go ahead and ride. The weatherman was actually correct… rain in the afternoon and stopped just before I left work. Needless to say, the roads were still wet when I left. Traffic was terrible that day (due to Obama visiting). I was at an intersection that just turned yellow as I crossed and the car across the street decided to try to beat the yellow and turned right in front of me. Bike brakes don’t really work on wet pavement so I ran into the car and fell over. Luckily, I had no broken bones just a big bruise and bump (that still present) on my left hip. And, yes… I was wearing my helmet.

The following week, our triathlon group got us a sweet deal to get fitted professionally on the bike. They raised my seat 4 cm, changed my stem and moved the clips on my shoes forward. Of course, riding home, I wasn’t used to the height and clips being in a different place and didn’t clip out fast enough just a block from the place. No injuries… just embarrassment. But, what a difference on the bike!! Much better handling and comfort. To top it off, it was raining during my interval work-out Saturday. I was in a rush to get home to do weights with my trainer… didn’t pay attention to the raised curb and crash!! This time… road rash galore! Needless to say, it was hard to do a lot of the intense work-outs this week. Swimming stung, running hurt and biking was fair but not as fast as I usually ride. ☹

So, battered and bruised… I’ve learned. I can’t ride in the rain. I need to watch where I go. And cars and bikes just don’t get along. Most of which I knew… but it takes a reminder now and then. I think I should be good as far as falling off the bike goes… I’m determined and ready to go for October despite this. Go Team WILD!!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: to “ How Not to Ride a Bike