LOST and FOUND

0 comments

August 25, 2009
Kathleen

Lost: 3 strokes. If found, DO NOT CALL ME!

I just returned from 2 amazing vacations in New Hampshire. Actually, it started as one vacation and then a mini vacation became the vacation within the vacation. Are you thoroughly confused yet? That's ok, read on.

I spent a glorious 6 days at a cottage on Lake Spofford, New Hampshire with my sister, her 14 year old daughter, her little friend and my cousin (the now owner of the cottage). This cottage was a place my sister and I went many times in both summer and winter with my mother to visit her Aunt Josephine. Our beloved Jo Jo. We hadn't been to this cottage in over 30 years and both my mother and Jo Jo are gone so returning to this memorable place of my youth was both exciting and emotional. I was happy to see that not much had changed at the cottage but somehow the Lake was smaller than I remember. As kids, we were out in that canoe all day so Lake Spofford felt like Lake Erie to us. I'd forgotten that there was an island in the middle of the Lake, just over a 1/2 mile from shore. The path around the Lake was 6.5 miles and the roads in and out of Spofford were rolling, smooth and endless. Perfect tri training ground!

The highlights are too numerous to say but the image that will carry me thru the 1.2 mile swim in Austin is of my 14 year old niece on a kayak for the first time guiding and protecting me to and from the island as I swam. Each breath I took, there she was out of the corner of my eye keeping me on course and I could see her keen eye ensuring that no boats crossed our path and that I made it safely to and from the island. I was so excited to include her in my training but I think she was even more excited. I'm old enough to know that this will be one of Hannah's memories of the Lake, the cottage and her time spent with her Aunt Kathleen. My sister, her mother, will join me in my hotel room in Texas and will be there cheering me on and scooping me up as I cross the finish line on 10/25. Everyone has a role!

The second vacation was in Lincoln, New Hampshire swimming with Celeste St. Pierre, our skilled swim coach. (Triathlon Skills) Since I was going all that way to New Hampshire, Celeste was a mere 90 minutes north of Lake Spofford . Celeste expertly guided me through 90 minutes of swim drills and at the end of it all........I was swimming 20 yards in 3 less strokes. Let me say it again people....when I arrived it took me 16 strokes and when I left it took me 13 strokes. I Lost 3 Strokes!!!!

According to my mathematical calculations:
1.2 miles= 2112 yards
2112 divided by 20 yards = 105 laps
105 x 16 strokes = 1680 strokes
105 x 13 strokes = 1365 strokes
1680 - 1365 = 315 strokes!!!!!

Can this be right? Seriously, my math skills are basal, bolus, carb counting based so can someone confirm that I have lost 315 strokes! If yes, this will surely help me on the bike and the dreaded run.

Woo Hoo!

Thanks Hannah and Celeste!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: to “ LOST and FOUND