A Summer of Ups, Downs and a Rush to the Finish

0 comments

August 5, 2009
Wendy


On May 10th I ran my first full marathon (see enclosed photo)A huge accomplishment for me as I think I figured out my fueling strategy. I stopped every 5km to do a sugar check. I took Missy Foy's advice and brought the meter, sticks and just the sharp without the spring loaded pricking mechanism. So a thrill on many levels.

But a week later, on May 18th I went for a run and missed the curb. One step I was in the midst of a long slow run and the next my face was in the grass. When I got up I figured that it was not anything significant and ran the remaining 10k of my run.

For the next few days my foot went supernova, despite rest, ice, elevation and vitamin I (ibupropfen) it was swollen and swore. When a friend described it a "Wilma Flintstone" esque - I knew I had avoided the doctor long enough. I think as diabetics we must have a higher pain threshold as we are constantly sticking sharps into ourselves as a daily ritual. So I can often ignore pain as I did in this case.

I also avoided medical attention because I didn't want the "bad news." And there was bad news-a fractured ankle. My summer of triathlons was over.
In a way it was alot like being diagnosed with diabetes - first denial (I'll be better in 4 weeks and make my June 13th tri), then anger (think road rage with a high blood glucose reading) then sadness/feeling sorry for myself- (sounds something like "isn't it enough that I have diabetes, have to wear this friggin pump, etc and now I have this friggin cast *#?!@ )

The attached photo shows me with the cast (das boot) and a glass of wine. (Well sometimes feeling sorry for yourself can be fun!)

But now I am in the acceptance and recovery stage. My Team Wild teammates gave me good suggestions like water running and arm-only swims. Now I have been given the thumbs up to start training and have actually heeded all advice from doctors, physiotherapists and my local tri coach to not go back too early or too fast- which admittedly is unusual for me.

I have been given a recovery schedule with a long run that must progress by 2 km a week to make the Ironman.
I feel like I am now in a race to the end of the month to see if I can make the October 25th race. For now I am making my schedule but I will know at the end of the month if I can make it when I hit a 13km run.

Train safe - big blog date for me next month.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories