The Journey

0 comments

August 6, 2009
Susie


In recent blogs, there has been some mention of The Journey. In its inaugural event, Team WILD will have approximately 20-25 women with diabetes (and a handful of “T3” team members, like myself) at the starting line in the Longhorn 70.3 triathlon in October. This has never happened before. It will certainly be an amazing sight. Even more amazing is what has occurred along the way. We have been training and learning from each other, and from our excellent coaching and medical staff, for several months. We’ve built endurance and improved our athletic technique and skills. We’re figuring out what works and what doesn’t work for each of us when training and racing, and sharing that information. We’re setting strategies for fueling, practicing those plans, reassessing, and trying again. The Type 1s and Type 2s are sharing diabetes management strategies. We have also built friendships, and talked about this exciting organization to others in our lives. We’re educating others, living by example, and will hopefully inspire women of any age or background to try something new, be active, be healthy and have fun!

It’s been a great journey so far. I believe race day for the inaugural team will come and go like Christmas morning. After the event, I know that when I look back I will think of the journey, and this amazing group of women who have the courage to stand at the Longhorn 70.3 starting line and make history.

OK, enough mushy stuff. I should probably include something training related...
A few weeks ago the Chicago contingent of Team WILD participated in the Harbor Lights Triathlon. This was a sprint distance event. Although it was not a long event, it provided a great opportunity to practice race day strategy, open water swimming (in 58 degree water… I think I saw a penguin swim past me!), biking in non-ideal conditions (we affectionately named one portion of the bike course “Pot-Hole Row”), transition to running, and insulin management for Lorrie, Lyndsay and Jennifer. Aside from the 58 degree water, these are all things we will encounter at Longhorn.

For me, the race reinforced the following:

  1. I need to position myself to the outside of the pack during the swim, far from any erratic swimmers or breaststroke kickers, which just cause me frustration because I’m usually not fast enough to pass, which means I can’t get away from them.
  2. . Carry an extra Gu/Gel/Fueling product in case one is accidentally dropped. Oops…
  3. Rinse all sand/debris from feet after swim to avoid abrasion when biking/running. Ouch…
  4. I love this team!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: to “ The Journey