Resting and Reflecting!

0 comments

July 2, 2009
Jennifer S.


So with the time to rest the past week I’ve also reflected while completing these slower workouts. I’ve had a chance to think of the things I’ve (we’ve) accomplished since our intensive Yoli training plans took form in January.
My year started out well with a great ½ Marathon, although I wasn’t feeling the best to run it, I did well considering the flu I had days before, and was thankful for the training I had done before this to actually be able to do the event at all. I think it really sank in how important REAL training is for endurance events!

Onto the first rehearsal ....in March? I feel like I’ve been training, and training and training. I thought that was a long first rehearsal, what was it total…I think I logged 2 hours or something….thinking on it now it’s like sitting by the pool sipping a drink. I did that rehearsal in the gym, too cold outside to bike or run….clearly I’m not as hard-core as some athletes.

April was fantastic in San Antonio with many of you….and it brought a new dimension to both training and what it would be like on race day. A 3-31/2 hour rehearsal that day, that went well overall even if I was upset with my lack of swimming ability and panic attack in the open water. (Thanks to Celeste for swimming by my side and reassuring me I was doing fine!) Reflecting now….I should have kept going out there, did the second lap and sucked it up…but the learning process teaches a lot!

May was a marathon that I did with my husband and sister-in-law. We chose to do the Cellcom Green Bay, WI Marathon as a Relay…what a fun option! And to cross the finish line hand in hand with both of them…my sister-in-law a very newbie runner (she did 6 miles of the course) afforded me the chance to feel what it will be like in October with all of my wonderful teammates and our millions of supporters there cheering us on! I also experienced true endurance athlete spirit as I convinced my best friend to do a 50-mile ride with me for my training….this was her first ride of the year!! I’m not such a nice friend! But she has the type of personality that is endurance perfect….she just keeps going, even if it’s slow and steady toward the finish!

2 weeks later I did our 4-hour rehearsal, a little backwards as I had to do the swim at the end since pool availability was nil at the hour I started the rehearsal. It was a good experience to feel the impact that riding and running has on the legs before getting in the pool, and the importance of the swim training in using your legs as little as possible for the swim to save them for the coming 2 transitions.

June ….hmmm, long workouts here and starting to do the Bricks. Best experience I think was definitely doing the 63 mile Tour de Cure this year and getting to wear my first Red Rider jersey!! I was so excited to put it on I changed right at the station where they were handing them out!! Had a great ride, followed all of the super fueling and hydrating tips from Marcey with great results.

The next weekend brought me to the longest of our rehearsals….5 hours…1 hour swim, 34 mile ride and 7.2 mile run. And as I heard from Mari at our camp in Austin…..”This is your race!”, I’m reminded of this as my husband does the rehearsals with me, he’s always great to remind me to set my pace and ignore that he’s there….it’s like having Mari’s comment always in my ear!

As I look at the training ahead, I know we are all on the same path. We have our individual frustrations and successes, but we also have the same goal not only to finish this strong and as a visible team of WILD women, but also to offer inspiration to all exercising women with Diabetes.

Onto my next short-term goal: my first Tri (sprint length) at the end of July. I expect to do well and learn from this as well!!

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: to “ Resting and Reflecting!